1. Absolute self – existent One
Jehovah: Translated “the LORD” (all capital letters)
- Pronounced: je-ho’-vah
- From Hebrew – to live, life
- He has always been, He is and He will always be!
- All other names of God in Scripture are derived from His works except one – Jehovah
- The most frequent name in the Old Testament occurring 6,823 times
Personal, continuous, absolute existence
- The LORD saw the misery of the Israelites, heard their crying as slaves and sent Moses to deliver (Ex. 3:7-14)
- “I AM WHO I AM” empowered Moses
Elohim – the general name of God concerned with the creation and preservation of the world – His works.
Jehovah – the God of revelation in the expression of Himself in His essential moral and spiritual attributes.
2. Righteous and Holy
First time in Gen 2:4; combination Jehovah-Elohim
- Until then it was the general account of the entire creation
- Here begins the special account of the creation of man and God’s special relationship with man as distinct from the lower creation
- It is as Jehovah that God places man under moral obligations with the warning of punishment for disobedience. (Gen. 2:15-17)
- It was as Jehovah that God noticed that Adam was lonely and created Eve (Gen. 2:18-22)
- When Satan tempts Eve to disobedience, he does not mention the name Jehovah, but only Elohim. Nor does Eve mention I her reply to him. (Gen. 3:1-7)
- But, it is the Jehovah God who seeks out Adam after he sinned, saying, “Where are you?”
- He demanded accountability (Gen. 3:8-9)
- Even today, Jehovah is never read in the synagogue nor uttered by his people.
- The word Adonai (the Name) being substituted
- Thus the pronunciation of Jehovah has been lost
“He who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do” (1 Pt 1:15)
His Holiness must condemn:
- Saw man’s wickedness and that the inclinations of his hearts was for evil, sent the Flood (Gen. 6:5-8)
- Judged Sodom and Gomorrah (Gen. 18-19)
- Jehovah wrote the 10 commandments (Ex. 31:18)
3. Forgiveness and Fellowship
His Love must Redeem:
- He comes seeking Adam after he sinned.
- He seeks to bring man back into fellowship with Himself
“The LORD (Jehovah) would speak to Moses face-to-face as a man speaks with his friend,” (Ex. 33:11)
“The LORD (Jehovah) came down in the cloud and stood there with him and proclaimed his name, the LORD (Jehovah)… The LORD (Jehovah), the LORD (Jehovah) the compassionate and gracious God (El) slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness, maintaining love to thousands and forgiving wickedness, rebellion and sin.” (Ex. 34:5-7)
What aspect of the LORD (Jehovah) do you need to know and experience? ___ Righteousness, ___ Holiness,
___ Forgiveness, ___ Fellowship, ___Love