“El-Shaddai” = “God Almighty”
- Pronounced: el-shaw-die’
- One mighty to nourish, satisfy and supply
- “The God of the Mountains” (God reveals Himself as El-Shaddai when He confirms his covenant with Abraham)
“When Abram was 99 years old, the LORD (Jehovah) appeared to him and said, ‘I am God Almighty (El-Shaddai); walk before me and be blameless. I will confirm my covenant between Me and you and will greatly increase your numbers.’” (Gen 17:1-3)
“El”: “The Strong One”
- 200+ times in OT, including compounds
- El is used in proper names: Beth-el = House of God, Isra-el = Wrestles with God, El-isha = God is salvation
“God (El) brought them out of Egypt…” (Num 23:22)
Nehemiah calls upon God (El) to intervene (Neh. 9:32)
- One who nourishes, supplies, satisfies
“He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty (Shaddai).” (Psalm 91:1)
- God is our shelter and our refuge
- When we are afraid, He will protect us
Q 1) Where are you afraid? _________________________
God is all sufficient, the all-bountiful
- “Elohim” is the God who creates nature so that it is and supports it so that it continues.
- “El-Shaddai” is the God who compels nature to do what is contrary to itself.
Q 2) Is anything too difficult for God? Ans. NO
- Sarah + Abraham / Isaac (Gen. 18:14)
90+ years of age, barren, childless
- Mary + Holy Spirit / Jesus (Luke 1:35-37)
Virgin, no husband
- God reveals Himself by special deeds of power.
Q 3) Can you admit that you have a problem so big
that only God can solve it? ______ Yes ______ No
Q 4) What do you plan to do about that problem?
Our problems are NOT TOO BIG for God to handle
Q 5) What self-sufficiency do you need to release
so that God can show Himself strong?
- Abraham released manipulating schemes - going to Egypt, lying re. Sarah, fathering Ishmael (Gen 12-20)
- Naomi released bitterness of loosing her home, husband, 2 sons (Ruth 1:20-21)
- Job released control of his children’s behaviors, his assets, his health, his relationships (Job 1-3)
Q 6) Have you embraced God Almighty in your life?
- Abraham received son of promise, Isaac
- Naomi received Ruth + Boas + David =>Christ
- Job was more blessed at the end of his life
In Job, El-Shaddai occurs 31 of the 48 times in the OT
New Testament re-emphasis:
“Apart from Me you can do nothing.” (Jn. 15:5)
“My grace is sufficient for you: for My strength is made perfect in weakness” (2 Cor. 12:9)
Dear God Almighty (El-Shaddai) I release my ______________ so that I can embrace You __________________________
and Your power in my life __________________________