The disease of Leprosy and symptoms:
- The term “leprosy” occurs 68 times in the Bible
(55 X in the OT and 13X in the NT)
- It was often considered a curse of God; due to sin
- It is a disease of the nervous system
- Spread by multiple skin contacts and respiratory droplet transmission
- Patients experience disfigurement of skin and bones, twisting of limbs, curling of fingers to a claw shape
- The worst is that people cannot sense touch or pain so that they injure themselves and are unaware
How Lepers had to identify themselves:
- Stand at a distance as a group
- Warn anyone approaching that they were lepers
Social impact of the disease on the leper:
- Were not allowed to worship God in the Temple – because they were considered “unclean”
- Not permitted to live with family
- Could not have a job; resorted to begging
- Carried great shame
Jesus said go show yourselves to the priest. The priest had no power to heal them, but could pronounce them clean.
Faith: “As they went, they were cleansed”
One returned to say thank you to Christ (Lk. 17:11-19)
Fell down on his face in worship at the feet of Jesus
10 were cleansed from leprosy & 1 was cleansed from sin!
There is an impact of a thankless life: (Rom. 1:18-32)
- Man suppresses the truth
- God qualities are clearly seen; so man is without excuse
- Man chose not to give thanks to God
- Man’s thinking became futile and his heart darkened
- Man chose to worship created things, not the Creator
- God gave them over to a depraved mind
Gratitude attitude: “Be a 1 in 10”
- Say thank you
- Be happy for someone else who succeeds
- See God in midst of trial
- Take time to….
- Think beyond yourself
- Give someone else credit
- In the midst of pain…thank Jesus
- Give yourself to others
See video of Sarah Churman who heard for the first time after receiving the Esteem Hearing Implant.
- Christian wife; age 32
- Mother of two
- Her mother-in-law spent $30,000 out of her retirement to give her daughter-in-law the gift of hearing.
- Envoy Medical returned the $30,000 and her gave a 2nd hearing implant free
- Sarah now blogs on “Thankfulness”, “Giving”, etc.
Her blog ends, “I hope everyone reading this has a great week. Tell everyone today what they mean to you. Smile often.”
List 50 Reasons why I am Thankful / Grateful
(See back page)
- Thank at least one person each day.
- Have a prayer time where you only thank God (with no requests for self and others)
50 Reasons Why I am Thankful / Grateful:
Name: _________________________ 2/16/2014