Bethesda = “House of Grace”
- A spring-fed pool with five covered porches where the sick (blind, lame, paralyzed) waited their turn to step into the stirring waters and be healed.
The man had been invalid for 38 years. (John 5:1-6)
- His problem (invalid) had become a “way of life”.
- He was caught in a cycle of excuse giving
- He saw no options
Jesus asked him, “Do you want to get well?”
- Seems like an obvious “yes” answer
- But, the man did not answer Jesus’ question
1. Stop Blaming and making Excuses
Invalid’s answer: Blame, Excuses (John 5:7)
After 38 years his problem was a way of life:
- He doesn’t answer the question
- He goes right to blame and excuses
- He’s not responsible – “It is not my fault!”
- “I have no one to help me”
- Everyone else has someone to help them…
Q) When things go bad, how quick are we to blame someone or something for our situation or choices?
Check the excuses you may have used in your life:
___ I did not know – no one told me
___ It is not fair - they did it too
___ I was not ready – I was not prepared – I am too tired
___ I could not help it
___ My mom and dad, they………
___ My boss…
Note: If I were Jesus I would have said to the man, “Excuse Me, you didn’t answer My question. You gave Me excuses. Let me clarify. My question is, Do you want to get well?”
Q) What issue / challenge do you have in your life that you are denying responsibility for or blaming others for:
2. Today, Christ asks us, “Do you want to get well?”
Q) Do you really want Christ at work in your lives?
- The man – Invalid - need physical healing
- You / I - Hurt - need inner healing
- - Guilty - need forgiveness
- - Discouraged - need courage
- - Arrogant - need humility
- - Fear of unknown - need trust
- - Unresolved conflict - need truth and peace
- - _____________ - need ______________
Considering the above areas, circle the issue God wants to work on in your life.
3. First Healing of Jesus: Physical & Emotional
“Jesus said to him, ‘Get up! Pick up your mat and walk’
At once he was cured; he picked up his mat and walked.”
Notice 1: Jesus does not even use the pool of Bethesda.
Notice 2: Critics focus on breaking man’s rule not the miracle.
4. Second Healing of Jesus: Spiritual
The invalid could suddenly walk – what a miracle and joy!
There was even a greater miracle of him being forgiven of sin.
“Later Jesus found him at the Temple and said to him, “See you are well again. Stop sinning or something worse may happen to you. The man went away and told the Jews that it was Jesus who had made him well.” (John 5:14-18)
Q) Take a quiet look at your life. Are you in need of spiritual healing? 1. Tell the Lord what you have done. 2. Admit where you are wrong. 3. Ask His forgiveness. 4. Enjoy life.