Watch video of blind man “Once I was blind, now I see!”
Note: Consider watching of the video as reading of the text.
Q1) Why was this man born blind? (John 9:1-5)
Disciples: “Who sinned this man or his parents that he was born blind?”
Jesus: “Neither this man nor his parents sinned. But this happened so that the work of God might be displayed in his life.”
- This man suffered to teach about faith and God’s glory
The great contrasts of dark and light: (35X)
- Blindness v sight
- Night v day
- Spiritual darkness v spiritual light
- Closed v open
- Guilty of sin v Guilt forgiven
Q2) How did Christ show compassion to the man:
- Jesus physically touched the man in his sickness
- The man could hear some of the discussion about him but could not see what was happening
- Jesus made mud: spat on ground combined with dust and placed it on the man’s eyes. (John 9:6-7)
b. Jesus spoke kindly to him
- Told him to wash in the pool of Siloam
Q3) How did the man show instant faith?
- He went to the pool (by himself?) in faith!
- He washed his face in faith!
He came home seeing!
Q4) What were responses to the blind man’s healing?
- Awe - Blind man saw himself and world for first time
- First thing he saw his own reflection
- He declared, “Once I was blind, now I see!”
- He boldly debates the religious leaders
- These leaders were blinded to God and a miracle
- They chided the healed man
- They excommunicated him from the Temple
- Surprise -Crowd saw a man similar to the blind beggar
- Fear of excommunication – Parents were guarded; with little support of their son’s life and healing
- Disbelief - Religious leaders saw an opportunity to accuse Jesus of breaking the Law of Moses
Q5) What was Jesus’ response to the man? (Jn 9:35-41)
- Jesus heard that they had thrown him out
- Jesus searched and found him
- Jesus asked, “Do you believe in the Son of Man?”
“The man said, tell me so that I may believe in Him”
- Jesus said, “You have now seen Him; in fact, He is the one speaking with you.” (I am the Christ!)
“Lord, I believe! And he worshiped Him.”
Notice the contrast: Rejected by man – welcomed by Christ!
Q6) How to speak up for God:
- Listen for the question or charge
- Admit what you do not know
- Identify how you have changed as a Christian
- Spend time with Jesus – relationship
- Seize opportunity to speak up boldly with grace
Q7) Where are you in our journey with Christ? (Check list)
___ Pointing out other people’s flaws and failures
___ Trapped by how others see you
___ Defending yourself
___ Seeking an experience with Christ
___ Fearlessly sharing your story (“Once blind, now I see”)
___ Compassion for those who live in your world