us consider five truths about the storms in your life:
1. You may have a plan & don’t see the coming storm
It is natural to experience storms in your life.
Jesus gathered His Disciples, “Let us go over to the other side.”
He clarified the destination, but didn’t mention that there was going to be a fierce storm in the middle of their journey.
Sea of Galilee:
- Sea of Galilee is 680 feet below sea level
- It is the lowest freshwater lake in the world
(Perspective: Sea of Galilee is 17X larger than Bomoseen)
- Near Golan Heights (Mt. Hermon is 9,230 feet high)
(Perspective: Killington is 4,235’ & Rutland is 648’ ASL)
- Cold air pours into the basin of hot air = turbulence
- Storms are violent and unexpected
The storm was “furious” = hurricane force winds
“Waves broke over the boat” = Waves were throwing themselves into the boat (larger fishing boat). (Mark 4:37)
2. You can feel desperate and alone in your storm a. The storm did not bother Jesus:
- Jesus was asleep in the back of the boat
- He is a picture of security and calmness
- He was either physically exhausted or resting in faith
b. The Disciples panicked:
- Some of the Disciples were career fisherman
- Imagine a fisherman asking a carpenter for help J
- To the Disciples, Jesus seemed unaware - unconcerned
- The Disciples fearful for their lives cried out, “Don‘t You care if we drown?” (Mark 4:38)
3. In reality, God is in control in your storm
Jesus rebuked the wind and waves (Mark 4:39-41)
Command: “Quiet! Be Still!” = “Be muzzled!”
Jesus took the “bite” out of the storm.
- Could it be that Satan was trying to drown Jesus so He would not die on the cross as the Savior of the World?
a. Results upon Nature:
“The wind died down and it was completely calm”
b. Results upon the lives of the disciples:
- “They were terrified” = They feared a great fear
- FEAR = False Evidence Appearing Real
- Evidences of Fear: Anxiety, Indecision, Loneliness,
Anger, Depression, Inferiority, Haughtiness, Control
4. Faith in Christ conquers your fear in the storm:
Key: Your faith is as strong as the object of faith is
Q) What is the object of your faith?
Job Stability? Financial Portfolio? Relationships? Jesus?
Level of Education? Life Achievements? ____________?
Q) If you were there, how could you have acted in faith?
You could have let Jesus sleep in the midst of the fierce storm because of two truths. With Jesus in your boat:
a. The boat will not sink!
b. The storm will not last forever!
Jesus cares for you too:
- Sometimes He calms the raging sea
- Sometimes He calms the child in the raging sea
5. Others are watching your life with God in your storm
There were others on the lake too (Mark 4:36)
Q) What is the storm in your life? Health, Finances, Parenting, Relationships, Employment, Self-Doubt, Future Plans
Q) What would others say about God based on how you are currently handling your storm? ___________________