What we are taught is the age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.05 billion years (4,540,000,000 years ± 1%); an old earth.
Q) What if the earth was only 12,000 years old; a young earth?
Secularists teach - about the age of our earth:
- Great amounts of time are needed
- Time + Chance (ignoring the second law of Thermo-Dynamics – there is progressive disorder (increase in entropy) over time in a closed system)
- There is no God interaction; no supernatural
- Radioactive dating – e.g. uranium gradually turns to lead over time; the degeneration of isotopes is assumed to be constant
Four primary views of the creation “days” in Genesis 1:1-2:3
1. Revelatory Days Theory: These days were simply revelatory days during which God revealed the creation scene to Moses.
- Exodus 20:11 contradicts this view
2. Age Theory: Each day represents an “age”.
- A day is “like” (not “is”) a 1000 years (Ps. 90:4,
2 Pt. 3:8). The emphasis is God is timeless.
3. Time Gap Theory: Each day of creation were literal days separated by a huge time gap. (Ps. 90:10,12)
*4. Literal Day Theory: Each day of creation were literal days with no time gap between them. (Young Earth) (Ex. 31:17)
Historical: Hebrew scholars tell us that whenever a number is used with the Hebrew word for day (yom), it always refers to a literal solar day (no exceptions). Since God is said to have created the universe in six days, literal solar days must be meant.
Several challenges to the “old earth” theory:
If the earth was 4.5 billion years old, then: we would expect…
- a. Deltas on rivers like the Mississippi and Nile would extend much farther into the seas.
Historical: The Mississippi River carries 500,000,000 tons of sediment per year into the Gulf of Mexico – enough to extend the coast 300 feet each year. (With recent rising sea levels, this “land building machine” has been abated.)
- b. Depth of cosmic dust on the moon….
Historical: When Apollo 11 landed on the moon surface, it was designed with four-5’ wide “coaster” landing probes on the lunar module to prevent sinking into the dust. To their surprise, less than 1” of cosmic dust was found.
Conclusion: God created the world in 6 literal 24-hour days.
9 Implications: If God is Almighty, All-Powerful then:
- Supernatural: 6 days (or 6 seconds) to speak the universe into existence is no big deal for God.
- The stars were created with light already steaming in a path for us to see them on earth
- The Bible does not imply Adam had a naval or that the first trees did not necessarily have growth rings
- God created the universe ex-nihilo (out of nothing)
- Creation was immediate, not gradual or trial-and-error
- God could have varying degrees of isotope discharge
- No one saw creation; even if a person was there, they would not have understood what was happening
- God chose 6 days to serve as a pattern for man’s work and then rest periods. (Ex. 20:8-11)
- Omnipotent defined: “God can do anything that does not violate His nature; He is all powerful; nothing is impossible for Him; His power is unlimited and unrestricted except by His own choice.”